Sports Turf Canada presents online turf management, maintenance course in May
By Sports Turf Canada
Course is spread over four mornings, May 3-6
By Sports Turf Canada
Sports Turf Canada is presenting a four-day, online sports turf management and maintenance course, May 3-6.
The sessions will be offered four consecutive mornings, from 9 o’clock until 11:30 EST. The instructor is Tab Buckner of the Township of Langley, B.C.
The course will be of interest to those who manage or maintain sports turf, or wish to learn more about it or perhaps want to develop further knowledge beyond the fundamentals. The course offers a range of options to deal with issues such as restricted pesticide use, water use, common regional issues, limited equipment availability, and how to best manage within limited financial resources.
- Turf species and their uses, characteristics and benefits, emphasizing the latest and best varieties for particular uses
- Soils as a growth medium for turfgrass including soil fertility, soil water movement and management of soils for better athletic field performance
- Cultural practices which enhance and promote good turf and improved playing conditions
- Water management including sub-surface and surface drainage systems, irrigation practices and systems and the efficient use of water and weather information for managing improvements under water restrictions
- An overview of the identification, monitoring and control of weeds, insects, and diseases in sports turf
- Integrated pest management (IPM) programs to recognize and monitor infestations of weeds, insects, and diseases, to identify thresholds, to reduce pesticide use, and to utilize biological and cultural methods to control/reduce infestations
- Renovations and restoration methods for poorly performing fields and best practices which promote good conditions and improved maintenance practices
- Sports field construction including proper design, layout, orientation and the hidden aspects for good turf
Links to a workbook will be provided a few days before the course begins.
Course fees are $800 for potential Sports Turf Canada members or $600 for existing members or WCTA members.
For more information or to register, click here.