Sports Turf Canada to offer online turf management, maintenance course Feb. 22-25
February 8, 2022 By Turf & Rec
Sports Turf Canada is presenting an online turf management and maintenance course Feb. 22-25.
The sessions will be held each of the four days from 9-11:30 a.m. EST.
The course is designed to introduce the latest principles and techniques of managing and maintaining natural sports turf. It will be of interest to those who manage or maintain sports turf, other turf areas, and those who wish to develop additional knowledge and skills in this field.
Instructor for the course is Tab Buckner of the Township of Langley, B.C., who will address such topics as:
- Turf species and their uses, characteristics and benefits, emphasizing the latest and best varieties for particular uses
- Soils as a growth medium for turfgrass including soil fertility, soil water movement and management of soils for better athletic field performance
- Cultural practices which enhance and promote good turf and improved playing conditions
- Water management including sub-surface and surface drainage systems, irrigation practices and systems and the efficient use of water and weather information for managing improvements under water restrictions
- An overview of the identification, monitoring and control of weeds, insects, and diseases in sports turf
- Integrated pest management (IPM) programs to recognize and monitor infestations of weeds, insects, and diseases, to identify thresholds, to reduce pesticide use, and to utilize biological and cultural methods to control/reduce infestations
- Renovations and restoration methods for poorly performing fields and best practices which promote good conditions and improved maintenance practices
- Sports field construction, including proper design, layout, orientation and the hidden aspects for good turf
To register for the course, click here.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Print this page