OGSA, WCTA ready for ‘19 conferences
Jones, Weeks to serve up keynote addresses.
December 14, 2018 By OGSA
A new venue has been selected for the winter conference of the Ontario Golf Superintendents Association following a healthy run in Niagara Falls. The association is moving its annual conference and trade show to Blue Mountain Jan. 15-17.
The conference will feature 2½ days of education sessions, a tabletop trade show, the OGSA’s annual general meeting, the OGSA’s awards luncheon and a welcome reception.
Keynote speaker for opening day is Pat Jones of Golf Industry magazine, who will speak about “the good, the bad and the ugly.”
Other speakers and topics:
Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Soil testing for golf: David Smith, DCS & Associates
- Managing putting greens during weather extremes: Adam Moeller, director, USGA Green Section Education
- Developing more effective tree management, newest technology: Steve Mann, SJM Arboricultural Consulting Ltd.
Wednesday, Jan. 16
- Towards sustainability: Dr. Eric Lyons, University of Guelph
- Innovative trends in golf course management: Adam Moeller, director, USGA Green Section Education
- Architect panel – designing for enhanced sustainability: Ian Andrew, Jeff Mingay and Keith Cutten with Pat Jones as moderator
- Well management and permit to take water: Steve Kajan, water resources engineer, R.J. Burnside & Associates Ltd.
- Honing your leadership skills: Bruce Williams, director, California Alliance for Golf
Thursday, Jan. 17
- Beekeeping: Peter Chorabik, Toronto Bee Rescue
- Maple syrup production for beginners: Al Schwemler, Toronto Golf Club
- Managing change and mastering communications skills: Bruce Williams, director, California Alliance for Golf
- Bill 148 update: Patrizia Piccolo, partner, Piccolo Health LLP
For more information about the conference or to register, visit www.ogsa.ca.
Canada’s premier golf media personality, Bob Weeks, will deliver the keynote address on Thursday, Feb. 21 to open the annual conference of the Western Canada Turfgrass Association in Richmond, B.C.
The 56th annual winter conference will be held once again at the River Rock Casino Resort Feb. 20-22.
Weeks is a golf analyst for TSN and had previously served as editorial director for SCOREGolf magazine. He also provided the narrative for the Ontario Golf Superintendents Association’s video called Today in Ontario which took a behind-the-scenes look at the role of the golf course superintendent as well as highlighting golf’s environmental benefits.
Joining Weeks as “mini keynotes” on the morning of Feb. 21 are Grant Cantin, head groundsman at Wimbledon, and Mike Jiggens, editor of Turf & Rec magazine.
The education theme for the 2019 conference is “Protect your natural capital,” which references golf courses, sports fields, bowling greens and other recreational turf areas.
Confirmed speakers include Dr. Bruce Clarke of Rutgers University and Jerad Minnick of the Natural Grass Advisory Group.
Four pre-conference workshops are planned.
To register, visit www.wcta-online.com
Print this page