Autonomous Equipment & Battery Power
Millennials favour less work, more automation
By Mike Jiggens
Sept. 20, 2019 – Husqvarna Canada has released the results of a survey aimed to better understand the adoption of smart home technology as a way of learning Canadians’ attitudes towards using smart technology to eliminate chores.
The survey found that 55 per cent of Canadians plan to integrate smart home technology into their daily routines to reduce chores and improve their lives. Outdoor chores are not favoured by Canadians with 39 per cent wishing they could never mow the lawn again, and 59 per cent who would like to skip weed removal entirely.
Most Canadians agree that smart home technology will continue to play an important role in our lives (78 per cent), which is especially relevant with millennials (71 per cent). While this is no surprise for this tech-forward generation, Generation X and baby boomers – the two generations who could really use smart technology to aid with various health and safety issues they often face – are less likely to tap into smart home technology to eliminate chores and improve their lives (56 per cent and 46 per cent, respectively).
For those looking for a solution, using a robotic mower with smart technology, like the Husqvarna Automower, eliminates lawn maintenance chores such as mowing and removing weeds. This gives Canadians more time to enjoy their backyard and less time spent on lawn maintenance. According to the survey, at least 64 per cent of Canadians are already spending up to two hours per week on their lawn maintenance routine.
Key findings from the Smart Tech Adoption survey include:
• 46 per cent of Canadians currently use some form of smart technology
• 52 per cent currently don’t use home technology, by 26 per cent would like to start
• 75 per cent of Canadians often spend time in their own backyard
• 59 per cent of younger Canadians spending three-plus hours per week maintaining their lawn interested in smart technology for their lawn maintenance chores
• The majority of Canadians say having the perfect lawn is important to them (64 per cent).
• 47 per cent of Canadians are willing to spend up to $1,000 on smart technology for their lawn
For more information about Husqvarna products, visit www.husqvarna.com.