Turf & Rec

News Government Affairs Municipal
Court rules town not liable for soccer field electrical hazard

Soccer player was hospitalized following electric shock in 2012

January 9, 2020  By Canadian Underwriter

The Town of Whitby, Ont. has been found not liable for an electrical hazard at a soccer field at Iroquois Park Sports Centre that sent an 18-year-old player to hospital. In August 2012, lightning struck a light pole, leaking current to the ground. A player sat on the wet grass near the pole, feeling an electric shock once she stood up. She collapsed and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.


This article is part of the Municipalities Week.

Print this page


Stories continue below