CNLA presents top landscaping awards of excellence
By Mike Jiggens
Four Canadian landscaping companies and a garden centre were recently honoured by the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association with awards of excellence for having demonstrated the “best of the best” in landscape horticulture.
The awards were presented in Olds, Alta. at the Olds College Alumni Centre.
Recognized for their achievement were:
• Garden Grove Landscaping of Waterdown, Ont. for the National Award of Landscape Excellence in Commercial Construction
• Airo Landscape Design Inc. of St. John’s, Nfld. for the National Award of Excellence for Landscape Design.
• Surface Pro Services of Calgary, Alta. for the National Award of Landscape Excellence in Commercial Maintenance.
• International Landscaping Inc. of Milton, Ont. for both the National Award of Landscape Excellence for Residential Construction AND the National Award of Landscape Excellence for Residential Maintenance.
• Green Haven Garden Centre of Lethbridge, Alta. for Outstanding Retail Achievement.
The Green for Life awards recognize significant contributions made to the ornamental horticulture sector by an individual, corporation, or community. The Green for Life Distinction Award was presented to John van Roessel of JVR Landscape (2006) Inc. in recognition of his lifetime achievement in the horticulture industry, as well as the lasting legacy he will leave on this sector.
Caterpillar was presented with the Green for Life Industry Award for the significant contributions it has made not only to CNLA and the provincial associations, but to the entire industry and environment. Sherrie Williams, product application specialist for Caterpillar Building Construction Products, accepted the award. CNLA thanked Caterpillar for the role it has played in promoting the industry and protecting the environment.
The final award of the evening, the CNLA President’s Award, is not given every year. It is only given to members who, in the opinion of the executive committee, have demonstrated a sustained personal commitment that has contributed beneficially to the enhancement of the industry at a national or international level. It was presented to Michael Murray, president of Murray’s Garden Centre and Horticultural Services. He has served the industry for many years as a business owner, a volunteer with Landscape Newfoundland and Labrador, and the CNLA. He is a past president of CNLA, and has also served as the environment chair, Landscape NL representative, human resources chair and currently sits as the government relations chair.
The National Awards of Landscape Excellence recognize Canadian companies that have actively participated in significantly raising the level of professionalism in the landscape industry. Each province nominates members from the provincial awards of excellence competitions that are then entered into the national awards. Next year’s ceremony will take place in St. Andrews, N.B.