Canadian supers place among tourney’s top 50
March 15, 2017 By Turf and Rec Staff
Three Canadians finished among the top 50 in the field at the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America’s national golf championship played in February at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club in Orlando, Fla.
The annual event was held in conjunction with the GCSAA’s annual Golf Industry Show.
Best among the Canadian contingent was Andre Aymar, superintendent at Toronto’s Islington Golf Club. He carded rounds of 78 and 76 to tie for ninth place with a 36-hole total of 10 over par. For his efforts, he earned $50.
James Beebe, course manager at Priddis Greens Golf & Country Club in Priddis Greens, Alta., tied for 15th with scores of 81 and 75 for a 12 over par total.
Dave Svab, manager at Silver Styx Golf Course in Markstay, Ont., tied for 46th place with scores of 82 and 84 for a total of 22 over par.
Both Beebe and Svab finished out of the money.
The tournament champion was Mike Stieler, superintendent at Spring Creek Golf & Country Club in Ripon, Calif., whose 73-73 scores gave him a two-over-par total. His first-place cheque amounted to $250. Stieler previously won the tournament
Several other Canadian superintendents and industry affiliates competed in other events, including four-ball, “classic” and “shamble” competitions.
- British Columbia competitors: Michael Newton, Capilano Golf & Country Club; Jamie Robb, Capilano Golf & Country Club.
- Alberta competitors: Peter Dall, Canmore Golf & Curling Club; Tim Knutson, Pinebrook Golf & Country Club; Chris Paterson, Glencoe Golf & Country Club; Kerry Watkins, Glencoe Golf & Country Club.
- Saskatchewan competitors: Kevin Bloski, Early’s Farm & Garden Centre; Doug Campbell, Riverside Country Club.
- Ontario competitors: Chris Andrejicka, Essex Golf & Country Club; Paul Brown, Sarnia Golf & Curling Club; James Burlington, Loyalist Country Club; Richard Butler, St. Andrew’s East; Jim Flett, Muskoka Lakes Golf & Country Club; Martin Kopp, Brampton Golf Club; Michael MacGillivray, Bayview Golf & Country Club; Darren Nicol, Brampton Golf Club; Mark Prieur, Trafalgar
Country Club; Paul Scenna, Beacon Hall Golf Club; Chad Vibert, Mad River Golf Club; Rob Wright, Devil’s Pulpit
- Quebec competitors: Luc Ladouceur, Club Laval sur le Lac; Marc Antoine Briére.
Print this page